Friday, November 1, 2013

Don't Sleep With Your Makeup On! | Products I Use to Clean My Face


We do our best to avoid signs of premature ageing, wrinkles, dehydrated skin and those dreaded pimples by drinking more water and investing in expensive creams, but too often I hear that girls are neglecting to take off their face of makeup before going to bed at night. This is a big  NO NO and quite possibly the damage that is causing your skin to do everything that you don't want it to. Our skin needs to breathe and have time to repair itself but it can't do that if we continue to trap it under a blanket of makeup. If you want healthy, youthful glowing skin then you need to maintain it and the first step is to get into the habit of cleaning it. The same way that you bathe/shower your body, your face deserves the same TLC. 

We've all been guilty of the excuses after a long day at work, a late boozy night out, or the general I can't be bothered attitude, but cleaning your face really doesn't have to be so tedious. Firstly, I suggest figuring out a time that best suits you - preferably on a daily basis. If you find it hard to commit to the 'before bed' routine, try doing it as soon as you get home so you don't have to think about it later on (I find this routine works best for me). Otherwise if you're still feeling a bit lazy and you're a 'shower at night' kind of girl, clean your face while you're in the shower. Two birds one stone! 

I'm a big believer in convenience when it comes to these situations, but that doesn't mean that I'll buy and use any products on my skin "just because" they claim to work.

Invest in products that work, and work well for your skin.

If you're looking for a quick and easy way to remove your makeup, I recommend using makeup remover wipes. They're readily available, super convenient and do the job. For me however, I like a much deeper clean so I use makeup wipes to remove the majority of the makeup and then I follow up with a foaming cleanser product. I prefer the feeling of a soapy lather and warm water to clean my face, just to rinse off any stubborn residue that may be left. I also use a separate eye makeup remover to remove mascara from my lashes to avoid rubbing at them too vigorously (I just put some onto a clean area of the makeup wipe that I'm using and gently wipe down my lashes). If I've had a full week wearing makeup or a day with a heavier face, I'll use my Clarisonic Mia for a deeper exfoliating clean, particularly in the shower. I'm not big on exfoliating cleansers as I find that they often aggravate my skin.

Now, if like me you want to ensure your skin is squeaky clean and you don't mind spending an extra 1.5 minutes, you can add toning to your routine. (You can skip this step if you've got a cleanser that really removes every trace of makeup). I have recently been enjoying my Bioderma H2O crealine water as a toner. While I don't usually use a toner as previous ones that I've tried leave a burning sensation and dry out my skin, I find that Bioderma is gentle and powerful enough to remove anything that my foaming cleanser missed. Using a toner can really refresh the skin.


 

There are a number of great 2 in 1 products on the market that also target different skin types. You'll find products that work as both makeup remover and cleanser, exfoliator and cleanser, toner and cleanser and so on. These products are great for those of you who want a low maintenance routine with minimal products to fuss over.

Remember to moisturise after you've washed your face!

Products I use:
I have Dry Sensitive skin 
- Johnson's nourishing facial cleansing wipes (for dry skin)
  [$6.99 or $16.99 AUD for value pack of 3]
- Simple Eye makeup remover (hands down the best eye makeup remover I've used)
  [$3.99 AUD]
- Aveeno Ultra-Calmimg foaming cleanser (for dry sensitive skin)
  [$13.99 AUD]
- Bioderma Crealine H2O (a non rinse cleanser and makeup removing water)
  [Available now at selected Priceline stores]
- Target essentials Cosmetics Pads 
  [$2.50 AUD]
- Clarisonic Mia (with the sensitive skin brush head)
  [Available at Myer & David Jones $139.00 AUD]
  
Products I would recommend:
- Eau Thermale Avene Micellaire Lotion (dupe for the Bioderma) 
  [$34.99 AUD]
- Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser (2 in 1 makeup remover & cleanser) 
  [$11.49 AUD]
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser/ Oily Skin Cleanser 
  [$10.99 AUD]
- Almay Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover Pads 
  [$9.95 AUD]

I generally purchase my products from Priceline or Chemist Warehouse
They often have great sales, so keep an eye out!

1 comment:

  1. such a good read allie! i wish people would take the time with their skin and invest in good skincare...we need to teach the world haha xx

    ReplyDelete